Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the min-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Mission Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles (Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels), was founded on September 4, 1781 by a group of Spanish settlers. The church was considered an asistencia ("sub-mission") of Mission San Gabriel Arca´ngel. Priests from Mission San Gabriel divided their time between the mission and the Asistencia site, but ultimately the installation was never granted mission status and the missionaries eventually abandoned the site. The surrounding area was named El Pueblo de Nuestra Sen~ora la Reina de los Angeles del Ri´o de Porciu´ncula ("The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the River Porciu´ncula", which is the present-day City of Los Angeles). A chapel, La Iglesia de Nuestra Sen~ora Reina de los Angeles, was later erected and dedicated on December 8, 1822, and for years served as the sole Roman Catholic church in the Pueblo. It is the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles. It was dedicated as California Historic Landmark #144. A man is crossing Main Street directly outside of La Plaza Church. Signage on a water tower (upper left) promotes the nearby "Brunswig Drug Co."
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm. Photographic prints
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Brunswig Drug Co Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Catholic churches--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Pedestrians--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Water towers--California--Los Angeles Palms--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments California Historical Landmarks Main Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs