This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This postcard, circa 1955, shows the Sacramento County Town and Country Shopping Center. Located at 2727 Marconi Avenue, the center opened in 1946 and, by 1951, was home to 73 businesses.
On the back of the postcard, the Town and Country Shopping Center is described as “The most complete, and most modern suburban shopping center in the western part of the US.” The development, expansion, and success of shopping centers like this one epitomize the birth of the modern, post WW2 suburban lifestyle.