Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Interior view of the Church of the Angels, located at 1100 Avenue 64 in Pasadena. The church is faced in sandstone mined from San Fernando Valley quarries and the interior walls are of red pressed brick (see right). The redwood ceiling nicely complements the stained glass window which depicts the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (background). A statue of an angel faces parishioners (foreground center). Modeled after Holmby St. Mary's Church near Dorky, Surrey, England, the church was designed by English architect Arthur Edmund Street and built by local architect Ernest Coxhead. The cornerstone was laid on April 20, 1889. Until 1899 this area of Pasadena was known as Garvanza.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00019785 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Pasadena-Churches-Church of the Angels. CARL0000025146 http://22.214.171.124/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/89498
Church of the Angels (Pasadena, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Pasadena Architecture--California--Pasadena--English influences Glass painting and staining--California--Pasadena Coxhead, Ernest A.,1863-1933 Garvanza (Calif.) Pasadena (Calif.)