The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The building is six stories high, but the municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse officially began functioning at 9:00 am January 5, 1959. Photograph article dated November 1, 1958 reads, "Supervisors Place Historic Papers For Future - Supervisors Frank Bonelli, Warren Dorn and Kenneth Hahn put box of historically-valuable county documents in cornerstone of new courthouse for posterity. A copy of the Los Angeles Herald-Express is included in the collection of scores of county items."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Bonelli, Frank G Hahn, Kenneth Dorn, Warren M California.--Superior Court (Los Angeles County) Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Building dedications--California--Los Angeles Cornerstone laying--California--Los Angeles County council members--California--Los Angeles County Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Herald-Examiner Collection photographs