Oversized photograph. Close-up view of a stack of mail being processed inside the Post Office Terminal Annex, also known as Los Angeles Terminal Annex Post Office. A postal employee, possibly a mail handler or processor, flips these letters up-side-down and places them inside a "holding" section of the machine, then, the letters get individually fed through a series of metal rollers, which in turn labels, meters, or cancels the stamp on each envelope. Today, processing of standard sized envelopes and cards is highly automated using machines that expedite this procedure, which means that fewer postal workers are needed. The Post Office Terminal Annex was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood in the California Mission style and was built in 1938; the supervising engineer was Neal A. Melick. This 400,000 square feet building served as the main mail distribution center for the Metropolitan Los Angeles area from 1938 until 1994. Approximately 1,700 Post Office employees handled over four million pieces of incoming and outgoing mail on a daily basis. The Post Office Terminal Annex was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #85000131, on January 11, 1985. Although no longer used as a post office, the building is used occasionally as a filming site.
1 photograph :b&w ;28 x 35 cm. Photographic prints
United States Post Office Terminal Annex (Los Angeles, Calif.) United States Postal Service Post office buildings--California--Los Angeles Historic buildings--California--Los Angeles Postal service--California--Los Angeles Postal service--Employees Underwood, Gilbert Stanley Melick, Neal A