Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Opened to the public on June 20, 1915, the Selig Zoo, located at 3800 N. Mission Road, also served as a film production studio for the Selig Polyscope Company, and briefly the Louis B. Mayer Pictures Corporation. Dramatic entrance gates featuring statues of elephants and lions were designed by Italian sculptor Carlo Romanelli, with interior structures by Arthur Burnett Benton. Selig Polyscope became insolvent in 1918, and over the years the zoo changed names and ownership. It was known as the Selig Zoo (1915-1925), Luna Park Zoo (1925-1931), L.A. Wild Animal Farms (1931-1932), the California Zoological Gardens (1932-1936), and Zoopark (1936-1940). The zoo officially closed in 1940 and many of the animals were relocated to the Los Angeles Zoo in Griffith Park. The Mission Road grounds would subsequently serve as the Lincoln Speedway and the Lincoln Amusement Park, before being redeveloped in the 1950s. The entrance gates would remain standing into the 1960s, before being dismantled and moved to an Inland Empire junkyard. The statues were rediscovered in 2000 and donated to the Los Angeles Zoo, where some of them are now on display. Four scenes from the zoo, one with an elephant and another with a football player wrestling a lion. The remaining 2 show workers cleaning the Lune Park Zoo statue/art piece at the front gate. This shows several elephants facing in different directions and is the same piece of art which was the front piece for the Selig Zoo in earlier years.
4 photographs :b&w Photographic prints
00019630 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Zoos-Luna Park Zoo; N-003-476.1 4x5; N-003-476.2 4x5; N-003-476.4 4x5; N-003-476.5 4x5 CARL0000023459 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/89085
Luna Park Zoo (Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles, Calif.) Zoos--California--Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles) Elephants Lions Lincoln Heights (Los Angeles, Calif.)