Originally designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim and opened in 1908, this Beaux Arts building was enlarged by Aleck Curlett in 1929 to accomodate more merchandise. The store was acquired from A. Hamburger & Sons Co. by David May in 1923 and renamed the May Company. More recently, it has been known as the Broadway Trade Center. Exterior view of the May Company Department Store, located downtown at 8th Street and Broadway, when the new addition designed by architect Aleck Curlett, seen here at left, was built.
May Company California Department stores--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Rosenheim, Alfred F.(Alfred Faist),1859-1943 Curlett, Aleck Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)