This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Photograph was edited for publication purposes Photograph caption dated August 14, 1954 reads, "Historic street - San Fernando road, formerly Porter avenue, was originally named for Valley pioneer George K. Porter who farmed the northerly half of the Valley in early days. Renamed San Fernando road, it presents an entirely different view than when it was a narrow, unpaved road with space for hitching horses rather than lines marked off for parking of motor vehicles. Looking easterly toward Brand boulevard from Maclay avenue, also named for the city's founder, Sen. Charles Maclay, are seen many of the business establishments participating in the Dollar Day sale Aug. 20 and 21." Signs include Kute Kiddie's, Melody Dress Shops, Porter Hardware, De Long Jewelers, Moss, Monterey Gift Shop, Clark's Shoes, Fraternal Hall, Kress, Windsor, Porter Hotel (including Flynn's Grill), Whelan Drugs, State Hotel, Town House, Mark Jewelers, and several more, including Mills Jewelers (partially obscured), shoes, McMahan's Furniture (partially obscured), and another hotel. At the end of the street can be seen a Dodge Plymouth dealership.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Stores & shops--California--San Fernando Commercial buildings--California--San Fernando Streets--California--San Fernando Automobiles--California--San Fernando Central business districts--California--San Fernando Pedestrians--California--San Fernando Street lighting--California--San Fernando Signs and signboards--California--San Fernando San Fernando Road (San Fernando, Calif.) Maclay Avenue (San Fernando, Calif.) San Fernando (Calif.) Cityscape photographs Valley Times Collection photographs