Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph was edited for publication purposes. The Hall of Justice, located at 211 W. Temple Street was built in 1925 and closed in 1994 after the Northridge earthquake. The historic fourteen-story building was built in the Beaux Arts and Italian Renaissance style with concrete floor slabs, a steel frame structure, and an exterior of white granite. It was the site of many infamous trials including those for Sirhan Sirhan and Charles Manson and housed such notables as Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel, Errol Flynn, Charlie Chaplin and Robert Mitchum. Autopsies were also performed here including those for Marilyn Monroe and Robert F. Kennedy. After a $231-million seismic retrofit and renovation, the Hall of Justice was dedicated on October 14, 2014. Beginning in 2015, it will house about 1,500 employees from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the district attorney's office. It will also offer an interpretive center, a cafeteria, and a museum in the basement. Two men in suits are shown standing outside the Temple Street entrance to the Los Angeles County Hall of Justice. Two other men are in the background. Photograph dated December 7, 1971.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles County Hall of Justice Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Renaissance revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles Jails--California--Los Angeles Temple Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Allied Architects Association of Los Angeles