The La Lomita Ranch was owned by Ferdinand Bain, who raised Jerseys. The property also included 3 frame cottages, barn, milk shed and storage buildings. Mr. Bain was also president of the Southern Counties Gas Co. In 1939, Paramount Pictures bought the property for a new studio. The property was acquired by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1945. On April 1, 1946, they opened an elementary school, Notre Dame Academy Elementary School, on the site. Initially, the school had only three grades; however, the following September more sisters joined the faculty and the school grew to have a Grade 1-6 configuration. In September 1949, the high school opened. View of a large barn on the 90 acre La Lomita Ranch, a dairy farm, bounded by Pico Blvd. and Overland. Just discernable through the windows are the dairy headstalls. Photograph dated March 10, 1939.; See photos #00068312-00068340 for complete series on La Lomita Ranch.
Bain, Ferdinand R.--Homes and haunts Farm buildings--California--Los Angeles Barns--California--Los Angeles Dairy farms--California--Los Angeles La Lomita Ranch (Los Angeles, Calif.) Palms (Los Angeles, Calif.)