In 1912, Los Angeles became the first city to open a municipal vacation camp for families when it established a camp at Mountain View in San Gabriel Canyon. A tally-ho ran from Azusa to the camp and forded the stream 49 times enroute. The site was rented for $50 per season. The photo shows members of the Playground and Recreation Commission tally-hoing to the camp. The group included Bessie Stoddart, who was president of the commission; and Commissioners Joseph D. Radford, J. E. Cowles and Richmond Plant, with Mrs. Radford, Mrs. Cowles and Mrs. Plant.