For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
"Old mission house." Exterior view of mission building. ❧ Sialkot was a frontier military station, having been annexed by the British in 1849, situated on the fertile plains at the base of the Himalayan range by the Chenab River. When the Church of Scotland chose it as the base for their missionary work in the Punjab in 1857, they sent Thomas Hunter (1827-1857) who was murdered with his family during the Indian Mutiny that same year. His successors, John Taylor (1837-1868) and Robert Paterson, would not arrive in Sialkot until 1860 and rapidly expand the field. The mission would open orphanages, girl’s schools, women’s hospitals and do zenana work in Sialkot and throughout the Punjab.