Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library > Changing Face of Southern California > Main Street of Culver City, Los Angeles, Cal

Image / Main Street of Culver City, Los Angeles, Cal

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Main Street of Culver City, Los Angeles, Cal
Creator
Unknown
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1920
Publication Information
Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University
Pacific Novelty Co
Contributing Institution
Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
Collection
Changing Face of Southern California
Rights Information
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Description
A daytime view looking south along Main Street in Culver City, California. On the right is the Pacific Building & Loan Association building, and other businesses along the street include a hardware store and real estate office. Streetcar tracks run along the cross street, possibly Venice Blvd., in the foreground.
Culver City was developed on land that was formerly part of Rancho La Ballona, belonging to the Machado and Talamantes families, and Rinc??n de Los Bueyes, which belonged to the Higuera and Lopez families. In 1913, Harry H. Culver, who had been working in a real estate firm in Van Nuys, announced his plans to create a city midway between downtown Los Angeles and the beachside resort town of Venice. The location consisted of only 1.2 square miles, but was located along railroad tracks and other transportation routes, and in a temperate area. He formed the Culver Investment Company, and began working to create a community that balanced commercial and residential interests. Over the next fifty years, the city would prosper and grow in size to about five square miles. In 1915, Culver convinced Thomas Ince to move his Inceville movie studios to the new community, and throughout Culver City's early years, movie studios provided the economic base for the area. Culver City incorporated in 1917.
Publisher's serial number: No. 190
Type
image
Format
1 postcard : Color ; 9 x 14 cm.
Identifier
clloy_200
http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/400
Language
English
Subject
Streets--California--Culver City
Stores, Retail--California--Culver City
Culver City (Calif.)
Main Street (Culver City, Calif.)
Source
Werner von Boltenstern Postcard Collection

Explore related content on Calisphere: