Skip to main content

Image / Interior of chapel, San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Interior of chapel, San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Creator
Park Photo
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The original church was built in 1797, but was soon outgrown; a larger chapel was built, but that one, too, soon proved to be too small for the growing population. A third, larger chapel was built and blessed in December 1806, but was completely damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 - once again, a new church was built and completed in 1818. Over the years, the Southern California earthquakes have done a lot of damage to the mission buildings; in 1971, the Sylmar earthquake damaged the church once again, and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. In 1988, the Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #88002147. In 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church..
Photograph shows the interior of the adobe chapel adjacent to Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a after the 1812 earthquake, which all but destroyed it. Foliage has grown on the ground, and sunlight filters through the open roof. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;16 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00081900
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.; S-003-467 4x5
CARL0000081319
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112317
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Earthquake damage--California--Los Angeles
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Adobe churches--California--Los Angeles
Chapels--California--Los Angeles
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: