For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
"22 1/2 HP Pelton Wheel and 20 HP Generator working 17 1/2 HP, 2 saws, 2 [?], '[?]' , 1 … and lights whole station." Close-up view of generator that would have been used to power the machinery used in the workshops, such as brick making machinery and saws. Ground work established by a native evangelist and dispenser sent out from Kikuyu in 1916. It sits on the eastern slopes of Mount Kenya, 35 miles from the summit at 17,040 feet, and administered to the Chuka, Mwimbi and Meru tribes. Mission station established by Dr A.C. Irvine, his wife and Mr Ernest Carr when they arrived, in 1922, from TumuTumu. Chogoria is built on a wooded ridge at an altitude of 5,000 feet. Mr Carr arrived first and built a bungalow in 1922, the Irvines arrived that autumn. A stone church was built to replace the thatch and wattle old church and was opened in 1930. The mission trained carpenters and masons.