Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797, on the settlement located on the former Encino Rancho, in Mission Hills. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. An adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor Pi´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernando's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. In 1988, the Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #88002147. In 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church. View of the original chapel, circa 1884, prior to being re-roofed by the Landmarks Club. It was not until 1896 when Charles Fletcher Lummis, a prominent member of the Landmarks Club, began a campaign to reclaim the mission property that the fortunes of San Fernando improved. The only remains of an adjacent structure is a long, crumbling wall. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
1 photographic print :b&w ;20 x 25 cm. on board 20 x 25 cm. Photographic prints
00081932 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a. CARL0000081418 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112405
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Chapels--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Excavations (Archaeology) Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)