Skip to main content

Image / A view of Broadway, showing the Chamber of Commerce

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
A view of Broadway, showing the Chamber of Commerce
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Publication Information
Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Originally published by M. Rieder, Publ.
The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce's first meetings were held in the old board of trade building on First and Broadway, which has since been torn down. In 1890, the Chamber moved into the Mott Building at 131 S. Main Street, where it stayed for four years. In 1894, the organization moved to new quarters at the southeast corner of Broadway and 4th, in a building designed especially for its use, the then-new three-story Mason Building - which would serve as the L.A. Chamber of Commerce for twelve years. In 1906, it moved into the Southwest Building, located at 130 S. Broadway, and stayed there until January 31, 1925. In 1925 it moved to its brand new building at 1151 S. Broadway and 12th Street. It now makes its home at 350 S. Bixel and 6th streets. The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, founded in 1888, is Southern California's largest not-for-profit business federation, representing over 1,600 businesses. The Chamber's early focus promoted the region's abundance of opportunities in agriculture and international trade. In 1967, the Chamber changed its name to the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. The L.A. Chamber of Commerce takes up key issues that affect the business community in Los Angeles.
This hand-painted postcard shows the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, also known as the Southwest Building, located at 130 S. Broadway between 1st and 2nd streets; view is looking south. The white building has numerous windows, columns, and balconies as well as ornamental detailing throughout. The Chamber of Commerce moved here in 1903 and stayed until January 31, 1925. Verso reads: "Originally published by M. Rieder, Los Angeles, Cal., No. 4402. Made in Germany". The back caption reads: "A view of Broadway, showing the Chamber of Commerce. Visited daily by hundreds of tourists, shows what is being done in Southern California." Price for the domestic stamp is 1 cent; foreign stamp is 2 cents.
Type
image
Format
Postcards
Identifier
00078631
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
L.A.-Organizations-Chamber of Commerce.
CARL0000080920
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112478
Subject
Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
Southwest Building (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Boards of trade--California--Los Angeles
Buildings--California--Los Angeles
Streets--California--Los Angeles
Postcards

Explore related content on Calisphere: