This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Sacramento’s Tower Bridge was one result of President Roosevelt’s New Deal, a government-funded series of programs designed to boost what the Sacramento Bee called “the economic well-being and psyche of the beleaguered U.S. population” during the Great Depression.
Construction of the Tower Bridge, which replaced the old M Street Bridge from 1911, employed 130 men for 16 months and further employed four more men in permanent positions.
The bridge was dedicated on Sunday December 15, 1935.