Skip to main content

Image / Rancho La Cienega o Paso de la Tijera adobe plaque

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Rancho La Cienega o Paso de la Tijera adobe plaque
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Schultheis, Herman
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 1938
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Rancho La Cienega o Paso de la Tijera was an original Mexican land grant. "Paso de la Tijera" or "Pass of the Scissors" described the pass through the Baldwin Hills. The Sanchez Adobe of the Rancho La Cienega o Paso de la Tijera, was once the center of the rancho. In 1927 the adobe, which featured intact exterior walls but required a new roof, was converted into a clubhouse for the Sunset Field Golf Club (also known as the Sunset Fields Public Golf Drive). Saint Bernadette's Parish occupied the adobe from 1947 until 1959 when the Parkview Women's Club bought the property. From 1972 until 1990 the building, located at 3725 Don Felipe Drive in Baldwin Hills, sat empty under the ownership of the Consolidated Realty Board of Southern California. The structure was designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #487 in 1990 when it was threatened with demolition.
A brass sign at the Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera Sanchez adobe indicates that it was built around 1790, but was marked February 16, 1934 as California parlor no. 247 by the Native Daughters of the Golden West. This might be a mistake because the Rancho Aguaje de la Centinela adobe was also marked parlor no. 247, or all several Rancho adobes might have been given the same parlor number.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-010-270 8x10
Native Daughters of the Golden West.--Californiana Parlor No. 247 (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Sunset Field Golf Club (Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, Calif.)
Plaques, plaquettes--California--Los Angeles
Adobe houses--California--Crenshaw (Los Angeles)
Ranch houses--California--Crenshaw (Los Angeles)
Clubhouses--California--Crenshaw (Los Angeles)
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera (Calif.)
Baldwin Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: