Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, it is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. The Convento, barely visible in the background, stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. It is most noted for its 21 Roman arches, and is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the rest of Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church. View of a San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission fountain, showing significant signs of deterioration; the fountain is located in the courtyard where bull fights were once held.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00065615 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 5047 4x5 CARL0000070997 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2094
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Courtyards--California--Los Angeles Fountains--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs