Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: https://wschs.org/contact-us
Photo--black and white postcard: Commemorative 2006 postcard celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Watson School in Bodega. White one-story clapboard building with "Watson Dist. 1856" painted on front over the two single doors. A white picket fence surrounds the school with a bell tower and is located at 15000 Bodega Highway between the towns of Bodega and Freestone. Watson School was one of the country schools in the Watson School District. The school was in operation from 1856 to the late 1960's and is now a registered historic place managed by the Sonoma County Regional Parks Department. Adjacent to this historic building is Christo & Jeanne-Claude Running Fence Park. Printed information on the back of the postcard describes the anniversary activities. Watson School was one of the country schools in the Watson School District. The school was in operation from 1856 to 1967 and is now a registered historic place managed by the Sonoma County Regional Parks Department. The simple gable (Greek revival origins) with a small bell tower was a typical design of one-room schools at the time. A unique characteristic of this building is a sloping floor from the rear toward the front forming an amphitheater seating arrangement for the desks. Oil lamps were used for lighting until electric lights were installed in the early 1900's. A wood stove served as heating for the life of the school. In 1967 the Board of Trustees made the decision to close the school and donate it to Sonoma County Regional Parks. The preservation of the school as a historical landmark is important. In 1976 the school was named Sonoma County landmark 23. In 1978 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.