Exterior view of the Carnegie Library at Pomona College in Claremont. A $40,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie was given to Claremont to build the library on the condition that the town raise an additional $40,000 in new endowment to cover building maintenance. The Classical Revival library was designed by Franklin P. Burnham and was built by Edwin Squire using reinforced concrete. Claremont donated the land and in return the library served both students and residents until a branch of the Los Angeles County Library opened in Claremont in 1914. The library served as Pomona College's academic library from 1908 until 1953, at which time a new library (Honnold/Mudd) opened to serve all of the Claremont Colleges. This structure has been known as the Carnegie Building since 1953 and houses offices and classrooms.