For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Hunter Memorial Church, Sialkot, Panjab, India”. Exterior view of a parish church built in the Victorian Gothic style. The architect was W. B. Harington, executive engineer of the station, and the funds were raised by Mrs Prinsep. The Church was opened on 22 January 1865 by the Rev. Hugh Drennan and nine families of the Meg caste, from Bajwat, were settled on surrounding farmland to establish a local community, Hunterpur. The Church was built in memory of Thomas Hunter (1827-1857) who was murdered with his family during the Indian Rebellion in 1857. Mr Hunter was the first Church of Scotland missionary to the Punjab and had only arrived in Sialkot that year.