Fac¸ade of the historic El Portal Theatre on opening night. The El Portal Theatre, designed by Lewis A. Smith, is an historical landmark located in the heart of North Hollywood. It was originally built as a vaudeville house and sits directly across Lankershim Blvd; the art deco Marquee is visible to thousands of cars that travel on the boulevard daily. Since its opening in 1926 -- first for Vaudeville, then Silent Movies, and then Academy Award-winning films -- the theatre has weathered the Jazz Age, the Depression, 4 wars, and finally being wrecked a few weeks after its grand opening by the great earthquake of 1994. Rebuilt in the late 90's and opened in January of 2000, the once 1400-seat movie palace now houses three theatres -- the 42-seat Studio Theatre, the 95-seat Forum, and the 360-seat MainStage -- along with the Judith Kaufman Art Gallery. El Portal Theatre is located at 5269 Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood. Photograph dated January 16, 2000.
1 photographic print :b&w ;29 x 36 cm. Photographic prints
El Portal Theatre (North Hollywood, Los Angeles, Calif.) Motion picture theaters--California--North Hollywood (Los Angeles) Marquees--California--North Hollywood (Los Angeles) Streets--California--North Hollywood (Los Angeles) Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments North Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Neighborhoods Collection photographs Night photographs Smith, Lewis A