For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Mission House, Chamba.” External view of church mission house situated in front of hill and surrounded by trees. ❧ The Chamba mission was established, in 1863, by William Ferguson (1821-1904) as an independent venture after the committee of the India Mission turned down his offer of work. When Ferguson retired he handed the mission over to the Church of Scotland. Dr Hutchison took over the running of the Chamba district, in 1873, from William Ferguson and remained there until his death in 1936. Medico-evangelistic work was undertaken amongst the Himalayan slopes and the missionary parties would endure extreme conditions to spread the Christian gospels and provide medical treatments. ❧ Chamba was an independent princely state and came under British influence in 1848. It now forms part of Himachal Pradesh.