Title supplied by cataloger. Charles Fletcher Lummis founded the Southwest Museum in 1907. The museum moved from Downtown Los Angeles to its current location at 234 Museum Drive in Mt. Washington in 1914, and has been there ever since. The 1914 building was designed by architects Sumner P. Hunt and Silas Reese Burns. It became part of the Autry National Center in 2004. The building is registered on the National Register of Historic Places #92001270. The interior of the Archeology and Ethnology Halls of the Southwest Museum. The room is vaulted with skylights. Shades are drawn at the arched windows which have their transoms opened. Display cases in the middle contain Native American artifacts of daily life, including a kneeling skeleton and a separate case of skulls. A large painting on the back wall hangs above a display of kachina dolls. Other cases on the wall, left, display Southwest pottery while above are hung various baskets. A sign on the arched door, left, reads: Torrance Hall of Fine Arts, gift of Jared Sidney Torrance.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Southwest Museum of the American Indian Native Americans--California--Antiquities Museums--California--Los Angeles Native Americans--Museums--California--Los Angeles Exhibitions--California--Los Angeles Architecture--California--Los Angeles--Spanish influences Historic sites--California--Los Angeles Lummis, Charles Fletcher,1859-1928 Hunt, Sumner P Burns, Silas Reese