This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
“Roses of every variety are found in the Rose Garden in William Land Park in a magnificent setting unsurpassed in beauty” reads the printed description on the back of this card, published circa 1930 and mailed from Denver to San Mateo in December of 1954 for two cents. Tree planting in William Land Park began in 1923 and by 1934 it was estimated that there were 4,000 trees from all over California and the United States as well as nations ranging from England to Africa growing in the park. Frederick N. Evans was Superintendent of Parks for the City of Sacramento from 1921 to 1946 and much of the monumental task of transforming 236 acres referred to by the Sacramento Union as an “Ugly Duckling” into a postcard perfect park that has served an appreciative public for nearly a century is a result of his efforts. At one point the City of Sacramento employed 150 people in two divisions, one devoted entirely to tree planting, maintenance and trimming.