This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information. http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/
Photograph was edited for publication purposes. Pictured is 'La Loma de los Vientos,' former home to silent film actor William S. Hart. Upon his death in 1946, Hart donated the home and the surrounding land to Los Angeles County to be used as a park and museum. The property is now known as the William S. Hart Ranch and Museum and is located at 24151 Newhall Avenue in Newhall. Photograph caption dated July 15, 1957 reads "This is castle-like, $1,500,000 William S. Hart ranchhouse which overlooks town of Newhall. Billowing flames leaped by house and burned to edge of town before fire was stopped. Every blade of grass on ranch was blackened, leaving only adobe house and a few trees standing. Fence leading to barn and roof on patio were burned during height of blaze." See images 00154666 through 00154671 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print : b&w ; 20 x 21 cm.
00154666 Valley Times Collection; HCNVT_d058_f15_i27 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/127719
Hart, William S.--(William Surrey),--1864-1946--Homes and haunts. William S. Hart Ranch and Museum (Santa Clarita, Calif.) Ranch houses Historic house museums Adobe buildings Dwellings Fires Smoke Trees Newhall (Calif.) Santa Clarita (Calif.)