Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Pacific Goodrich bay window, Commerce

Image / Pacific Goodrich bay window, Commerce

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Pacific Goodrich bay window, Commerce
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1938]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
S. B. Robertson, Director of Engineering for the B. F. Goodrich Rubber Company, designed the 1928 Pacific Goodrich Rubber Company facility located at 5400 East 9th Street (AKA Mines, Olympic) in what is now Commerce. The 45-acre plant, which featured a 20-foot setback with park like lawns and a 1,200-foot facade, acted as the west coast manufacturing and distribution center for the Ohio based tire company, until it closed in 1975. The East Los Angeles Community Union (TELACU) subsequently redeveloped the area.
View of a bay window and gabled roof of the Pacific Goodrich Rubber company, taken from across the wide lawn.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00099136
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-008-509 8x10
CARL0005096301
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/38770
Subject
B.F. Goodrich Company
Rubber industry and trade--California--Commerce
Tire industry--California--Commerce
Industrial facilities--California--Commerce
Factories--California--Commerce
Architecture--California--Commerce--Spanish influences
Lost architecture--California--Commerce
Ninth Street (Los Angeles County, Calif.)
Commerce (Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Robertson, S. B

Explore related content on Calisphere: