The San Jose Public Library California Room can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claims of the copyright holder. Permission to copy or publish any portion of San Jose Public Library California Room collection must be given by the San Jose Public Library California Room. For more information on copyright or permissions for this image, please contact the California Room: http://www.sjlibrary.org/research/special/ca/contacts_index.htm
Women walk toward City Hall. This was San Jose's Old City Hall built in before 1849 demolition in 1958. It stood in Plaza Park, now known as Plaza de César Chávez, where the children's fountain is located. The building housed city offices and the police department used the basement. In use since 1889, the building was demolished in June 1958. Statue in foreground is of Dr. Henry D. Cogswell, a prohibitionist. It stood atop the drinking fountain he donated to the city.
image/jpeg2000 Scanned with Epson Perfection V400 Photo Scanner as a 600 dpi TIFF image in 16-bit Grayscale. Compressed into JPEG format and Auto Level image adjustment applied using Photoshop CS2.