Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > LAPL Central Library construction, n.e. corner under construction

Image / LAPL Central Library construction, n.e. corner under construction

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
LAPL Central Library construction, n.e. corner under construction
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1925
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136.
Photograph shows the construction of the Los Angeles Public Library, located at 630 W. Fifth Street; view is of the northeast corner. The structure is well under way and beginning to take shape as construction workers use thousands of pieces of plywood to make the frame. It appears the construction method being used is Balloon Framing, which was a method of wood construction used primarily in the United States up until the mid-1950s. This technique utilized long continuous framing studs that ran from the sill plate to eave line with intermediate floor structures nailed to them; wall sheathing, usually a plywood, was applied to the framing thus eliminating the need for scaffolds. The large white building on the left is the Bible Institute, later to become Church of the Open Door/Biola Institute, located at 555 S. Hope Street. Rows of cars line both sides of 5th Street in the foreground. Photograph dated: April 17, 1925.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 24 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00084894
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
A-002-694.1 4x5; L.A.-Libraries-LAPL-Central Library-Construction.
CARL0004766999
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113054
Subject
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Bible Institute of Los Angeles
Los Angeles Public Library
Church of the Open Door (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Building construction--California--Los Angeles
Wooden-frame buildings--California--Los Angeles
Church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Library buildings--California--Los Angeles
Balloon framing--California--Los Angeles
Building sites--California--Los Angeles
Automobiles--California--Los Angeles
Libraries--California--Los Angeles
Winslow, Carleton M.,1919-
Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: