Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. In 1804, nearly 1,000 Indians lived at the mission and had learned the important trades, which included blacksmithing, farming, ranching, carpentry, weaving, leathermaking brick making, soap making and wine making. There are over 2,000 people buried in the cemetery at the mission, most of them Indians. Photograph shows two unidentified Indian women sitting on a wooden bench just outside an adobe structure. A pail, shovel and crutch can be seen leaning against the wall to the left. Although the names of the women were not give, they have been identified as mother and daughter, aged 130 years old (woman on the left), and 100 years old (woman on the right), living at the San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission.
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
00081890 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a-Indians.; S-007-533 4x5 CARL0000081312 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/115611
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Mothers and daughters--California--Los Angeles Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Adobe houses--California--Los Angeles Indian women--California--Los Angeles Older women--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)