Skip to main content

Image / Luther Burbank cottage covered in dead vines and boarded up, 1978

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Luther Burbank cottage covered in dead vines and boarded up, 1978
Date Created and/or Issued
1978
Contributing Institution
Sonoma County Library
Collection
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection
Rights Information
Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: https://wschs.org/contact-us
Description
Photo- black and white: Luther Burbank cottage before renovations began in 1983. Dead vines cover the wood slat walls and front door and window boarded up. Picture taken circa 1978. Background: After Burbank died in 1926, Mrs. Burbank established an apple orchard on a portion of the Farm and leased the rest to Stark Bros. Nursery. When their lease expired in 1957 the property deteriorated and subsequently passed into new ownership. Local historians, intent on preserving the Burbank legacy in Sebastopol, formed the Western Sonoma County Historical Society in 1974. The cottage was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The City of Sebastopol worked with the Society in its efforts to obtain 3 acres of the original farm and to restore the Cottage. Restoration began in 1983.
Type
Image
Format
Still image
Identifier
9c803990-bacb-47da-b9b9-1860fceee11f
https://digital.sonomalibrary.org/documents/detail/46598
https://images.quartexcollections.com/sonomalibrary/thumbnails/preview/9c803990-bacb-47da-b9b9-1860fceee11f
cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll11/id/732

Explore related content on Calisphere: