This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Text of signage: This monastery is believed to have been constructed during 936-1155 AC by the Chola invaders who were reigning in Polonnaruwa. The person who built this temple remains unknown. The main structure is a kovil built for Lord Vishnu. A kovil built for Lord Shiva faces this building. The ancillary buildings to the north of the main building had been used for offerings and prayer associated with these kovils. The inner chamber of the main building has been constructed to the Gedige tradition with its roof made of bricks. A slab with a five-hooded cobra carved on it had been found here [and adopted as the title of the temple]. The large number of bronze figurines which were discovered here is presently deposited in the Polonnaruwa museum. --Director General of Archeology.