Marin County Free Library > General Collection > Inverness Store, 1909 [photograph]

Image / Inverness Store, 1909 [photograph]

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Inverness Store, 1909 [photograph]
Creator
unknown
Date Created and/or Issued
1909
Publication Information
Marin County Free Library. Anne T. Kent California Room
Contributing Institution
Marin County Free Library
Collection
General Collection
Rights Information
unknown
Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Description
Swiss immigrant Attilio Martinelli started the Inverness Store in 1900. He built a two-story mercantile with dwelling upstairs, facing Tomales Bay and the road to Point Reyes (Peninsula, not town). The store offered bulk food, clothing, supplies and equipment, catering to both ranchers and summer residents of the new resort town. Martinelli also built a cottage, seen north (to right) of the store, and in 1909, shortly before this photo was taken, a two-story candy store partly seen through the trees. The April 1906 earthquake sent the upper floors of the store to ground level, crushing the store; Martinelli and his friends jacked up the remains, rebuilt the first floor and opened for business within a couple of months. He added an additional shed (on the far left) for mechanical supplies and oil products. On the north side of the store he built a false-front building to house the Inverness post office, once situated in a small log cabin which had been destroyed in the quake. A display of bottles and hats appear in the windows. Also seen are signs for “Royal Soda," Lafargue French Laundry; the phone service; the Examiner, San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Call. Pictured are two children who could be Martinelli’s, and perhaps Attilio himself talking to the unidentified occupant of the buggy. The building and the cottage still stand. The store closed in the 1950s and a different Inverness Store operates across the street. Today, various operations are found here including a restaurant, café, and a law office. The post office remains in place as it has for 108 years. The paved road, Sir Francis Drake Highway, is a popular route to Point Reyes National Seashore. (Item description courtesy Dewey Livingston)
Type
image
Format
1 glass plate, b&w ; 22 x 17 cm.
Identifier
csrcl_1110
http://contentdm.marinlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/general/id/16
Language
English
Subject
Mercantile facilities
General stores
Post offices
Martinelli, Attilio
Place
Inverness (Calif.)
Relation
http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt0q2nc5z2
http://marinlibrary.org/californiaroom

Explore related content on Calisphere: