This is a photograph of Fr. Taggart's and Sister Gertrude's graves side by side in a Catholic cemetery at Yangjiang. The head stone is carved in Chinese on the left tablet and English on the right one. The areas where they are buried is surrounded by a small brick wall border. Born in New York, Fr. Taggart came to Maryknoll in 1914 and was ordained to the priesthood on May 21, 1921. He sailed for the Orient that same autumn. His first mission was Yeungkong under the guidance of Fr. Francis Ford. Later, he became pastor of the town of Tungchen and remained there until 1927. Returning home to the United States in 1927, he raised funds for his missions and returned in 1929 to Yeungkong and renovated the mission compound. He opened a home for blind girls and older women. In 1931 Fr. Taggart became ill and died in Yeungkong. He was buried in a hillside cemetery at Yeungkong.
Photographic prints 13 x 9.7 cm.
impa-m4558 [Legacy record ID] IMP-MKL-China-008-06-0009 http://doi.org/10.25549/impa-m4558 http://thumbnails.digitallibrary.usc.edu/IMP-MKL-China-008-06-0009.jpg
Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America Religious communities Sacred sites Close-up views