Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
"Fireman's 4th of July, Frank Park's House" written in pencil on reverse of image. Stamped "Joe A. Hinojos - Photography" in the lower right corner. Image depicts families at a back yard barbecue celebrating the 4th of July. American flags are displayed in the yard. Some people are wearing plastic fire helmets and children are dressed in swimming suits. Some people are seated on folding chairs or lawn chairs and some are standing. Most are eating or drinking. The photograph appears to have been taken from a second story or rooftop looking down on the gathering. Not one of the people has been identified. The Sierra Madre Historical Archives Collection. 4x5 b&w negative available. Archival Preservation, Access and Co-ownership Project: A joint project of the Sierra Madre Historical Preservation Society and the Sierra Madre Public Library. Cataloging and copy negative sponsored by the California State Library, Library Services and Technology Act Reproduction may be restricted; Source unknown. After a fire destroyed the Sierra Madre Basket, Bakery & Grocery in 1919, the need for fire fighting equipment was realized. The Sierra Madre Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1921. The fire station and City Hall building at 55 West Sierra Madre Blvd. was constructed in 1927. Gradually the fire department built its resources adding more fire fighters, engines, and equipment. Fighting blazes in structures such as homes and businesses, the fire department also battles brush fires in the foothills. In the early 1930s a second fire station was built in the Sierra Madre canyon. Also in the 1930s the department owned and operated a First Aid Truck and provided emergency care to Sierra Madreans. In 1973, two members of the department received emergency medical technician training and in subsequent years others were trained. The emergency medical program continues today. In 1940, a new Diaphone Fire Horn replaced the siren at City Hall. The horn was used to alert fire fighters to a fire. In 1961 a new fire station number 2 was constructed in the Sierra Madre canyon on the site of an old city pump station at 744 Alta Vista Drive. From station number 1, the department moved to a new fire and police facility at 242 West Sierra Madre Blvd. on May 8, 1976. In October 1987, the department hosted the 1st Annual Fire Prevention Festival. The festival is a way for the department to educate the community about the dangers of fire and ways to safeguard their property and families.
1 photographic print : b&w ; 20 x 26 cm.
Sierra Madre Volunteer Fire Department Fourth of July Fire fighters--California--Sierra Madre Holidays--California--Sierra Madre Barbecues--California--Sierra Madre Backyards--California--Sierra Madre Summer--California--Sierra Madre Sierra Madre (Calif.) Photographic prints