Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797, on the settlement located on the former Encino Rancho, in Mission Hills. An adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor Pi´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernando's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. It was dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. And in 1999, it was also added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #71001076. It continues to serve as a parish church. View of the original chapel of San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission. It shows a long, adobe building with a tile roof; a smaller structure, possibly a shed, is adjacent to the rear left. Photograph dated: June 1936.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00066132 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 82 4x5 CARL0000070972 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2070
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Chapels--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs