For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Class in School." Interior view of classroom with Kikuyu senior class, and Miss Mary Mowat standing alongside Rev W.B Stevenson at the front of the classroom. The Kikuyu Mission had been founded on a temporary site by the Imperial British East Africa Company in 1891, before moving to Kikuyu territory in 1898, under the Rev. Thomas Watson. Located on the ‘lower shamba’, the site stands 12 miles from Nairobi, at a distance of approximately 342 miles away from the coast. In April of 1900, the first day-school was opened for children. By March 1926, The Alliance High School for older boys was established, principled by Mr G.A. Grieve. Crops were grown (maize, beans and sweet potatoes) in part to provide foods for the school children. ❧ "A Series of Photos illustrating Life and Work at Kikuyu. August 1926. Rev W.B. Stevenson.