Skip to main content

Image / Pacific Mutual Building Parkway

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Pacific Mutual Building Parkway
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Creator
Graham Photo Co. (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Date Created and/or Issued
1925
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
The Pacific Mutual Building, located at 523 W. 6th Street, are actually three interconnected buildings built between 1908 and 1929. The original structure was designed and built between 1908-1912 by John Parkinson and Edwin Bergstrom. Since then, it has undergone many changes: the North Side addition was built in 1916 by William J. Dodd; a twelve-story structure was built in 1921 by William J. Dodd and his associate William Richards; the Garage Building was added in 1926 by Schultze and Weaver; and the West Side addition was erected in 1929 by Parkinson and Parkinson. It underwent Moderne remodeling in 1936 by Parkinson and Parkinson; and in 1974, the building underwent an extensive restoration by Wendell Mounce and Associates, with Bond and Steward, which brought it back to its Beaux Arts revival; finally, the entire building was renovated again by the Westgroup, Inc. in 1985. The Pacific Mutual Building is Historic-Cultural Monument #398.
View of the Pacific Mutual Parkway, future site for the Garage Building which will become part of Pacific Mutual. Piles of lumber have been placed in clusters on either side of the parkway, as cars are parked between. A large sign posted on the fence reads, "Parkway - Temporarily closed - Biltmore Garage, 5th and Grand Avenue, Will Care For All Customers of the Pacific Mutual Garage and Parkway - Biltmore Garage, one block [arrow pointing left]". This side will eventually become the rear of the building, and the main entrance will be found on the opposite end (not visible from this angle). This building was added in 1926 by Schultze and Weaver, and erected by the William Simpson Construction Company. Photograph dated October 6, 1925.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;19 x 24 cm. on sheet 21 x 28 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00092817
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
GPC_b27_f2_i16
CARL0004997022
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/116173
Subject
Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Building (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company
Construction and demolition debris--California--Los Angeles
Parking garages--California--Los Angeles
Building sites--California--Los Angeles
Streets--California--Los Angeles
Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Bergstrom, G. E.(George Edwin),1876-1955
Richards, William,1871-1945
Dodd, William J.,1862-1930
Parkinson, John,1861-1935
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: