Title supplied by cataloger. After Baldwin's death in 1909, the ranch land fell into the hands of Baldwin's daughter Anita, who in 1936 sold some acres to Harry Chandler of the Los Angeles Times. Chandler owned a real estate company, Rancho Santa Anita, Inc., which oversaw the former Baldwin land and developed subdivisions in the area. In 1947, 111 acres of the former Santa Anita Ranch were purchased from Rancho Santa Anita, Inc. by the State of California and County of Los Angeles to develop the arboretum. Exterior view of the 1839 Hugo Reid Adobe under tall trees at the Santa Anita Ranch in Arcadia, during the time it was owned by E. J. "Lucky" Baldwin (from 1875 to 1909). Reid was the original owner of the rancho, a champion of the Gabrielino Indians, and was a signer of the first California Constitution. Built of sun-dried adobe blocks made by mixing clay soil, water and a straw binder, the adobe is designated California Historical Landmark No. 368.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. on board 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints