Skip to main content

Image / Congregation in church, Beru, Kiribati, 1913-1914

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Congregation in church, Beru, Kiribati, 1913-1914
Creator
Goward, William
Date Created and/or Issued
1913/1914
Publication Information
University of Southern California. Libraries
Contributing Institution
University of Southern California Digital Library
Collection
International Mission Photography Archive, ca.1860-ca.1960
Rights Information
Archives, Manuscripts and Rare Books Division, The Library, SOAS, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG, United Kingdom
Council for World Missions
University of London. School of Oriental and African Studies. Library
docenquiry@soas.ac.uk
http://www.soas.ac.uk/library/archives/services/
Description
"Our monthly united service at Beru: a special gathering for adherents." View of congregation seated inside church. One image from an album of 32 prints of Ronoronu, Beru, inscribed, "Photographs from Ronorono, Beru, Gilbert Islands. Taken by the Rev. W.E. Goward. For the Rev. R. Wardlaw Thompson, B.A. D.D., with sincere regards.". Rev. Goward served in the South Seas from 1888 to 1919. Wardlaw Thompson was Foreign Secretary of the LMS from 1881 to 1914 and had visited the missions in the South Seas as part of the Deputation of 1897-1898.
A mission to Samoa or Navigators Islands was started after a visit by John Williams in 1830. The mission field was successful, famous for its educational work. The Malua Theological College was established in 1844 and the Leulumoega High School was established in 1890. A school for girls, called Papauta, was founded in 1892. By 1905 the indigenous Church was well organised and became effectively financially independent in the 1920s. A high percentage of the population was allied to LMS churches. The main LMS mission stations were on the islands of Upolu and Savai'i in Western Samoa and Tutuila in Eastern Samoa. The Gilbert Islands [later Kiribati] became part of the Samoan mission in 1870 and together with the Ellice Islands [later Tuvalu] became known as the North-West outstations of the Samoan mision.
Type
image
Format
photographs
printing-out paper, ca. 7 x 9.5cm.
Identifier
impa-m2522 [Legacy record ID]
IMP-SOA-CWM-02-10-014-027
http://doi.org/10.25549/impa-m2522
http://thumbnails.digitallibrary.usc.edu/IMP-SOA-CWM-02-10-014-027.jpg
Subject
London Missionary Society
Goward, William Edward, 1860-1931
Religious practice
Religous communities
Group portraits
Time Period
1913/1914
Place
Beru
Kiribati
Source
SOAS/CWM/LMS/PAC/PHOTO/04/014/027 [File]
Relation
Council for World Mission/London Missionary Society
International Mission Photography Archive, ca.1860-ca.1960
Photographs of the Archives and Manuscripts Division, School of Oriental and African Studies, London, ca.1860-1950
School of Oriental and African Studies
impa-m971

Explore related content on Calisphere: