For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
Exterior close-up view of a compound with brick built buildings and walls. This is possibly the cantonment at Sialkot that was established in 1849 [opened 1852] when the area was annexed by the British after the Second Anglo-Sikh War. The Punjab Mission was inaugurated in 1857 under Thomas Hunter (1827-1857), who was murdered during the Sepoy Rebellion of the same year, and is the largest of the Church of Scotland’s Missions in India. There are nine principal stations Sialkot and District, Gujrat, Wazirabad, Daska, Youngsonabad, Jalalpur, Shadiwal, Jammu and Chamba, the latter two in what were independent princely states.