Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Culver Boulevard, looking northwest

Image / Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Culver Boulevard, looking northwest

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Culver Boulevard, looking northwest
Alternative Title
Kelly-Holiday Mid-Century Aerial Photo Collection
Creator
Kelly, Howard D
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
1960
Publication Information
Kelly-Holiday
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
The vast studios of Metro Goldwyn Mayer first began as Triangle Pictures in 1915. The first building on the lot was the huge white edifice with classical colonnades fronting Washington Street and was built even before MGM owned the lot. Metro Goldwyn Mayer was founded in 1924 when entertainment entrepreneur Marcus Loew gained control of Metro Pictures (founded in 1916), Goldwyn Pictures Corporation (founded in 1917) and Louis B. Mayer Pictures (founded in 1918). During its heyday, MGM was the most powerful studio in Hollywood and produced approximately fifty pictures a year, bragging that it had "More stars than there are in the heavens." It produced many box office hits, as well as spectacular musicals. In 1957 the studio lost money for the first time in its 34-year history, and by 1960, it had released all of its contract players with many either retiring or moving on to television. In 1969 the company was bought out by millionaire Kirk Kerkorian, who then auctioned off the studio's prized possessions and sold 38 acres of the studio's legendary back lots to housing developers, as the main appeal for Kerkorian was the Culver City real estate and the value of 45 years' worth of glamour associated with the MGM name. In 1986, the MGM sign and its lion logo were removed from atop the Culver City studio. In 1990, the grand old studio was purchased by Sony Entertainment of Japan, and is currently the home to both Columbia Pictures and TriStar Pictures. The once-famous home of Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, and current home of Sony Pictures Studios, is located at 10202 Washington Boulevard in Culver City. It bounded by Washington Boulevard (on the north), Culver Boulevard (on the south), Madison (on the east) and Overland (on the west). The old main gate with its classical Greek columns is located at Jasmine Avenue and Washington Boulevard.
Aerial view of the Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studio lot, located at 10202 Washington Boulevard in Culver City; view is looking northwest. Overland Ave. runs top to bottom, at left of image and intersects with Washington Blvd. at bottom right. Photograph was taken for Flintkote. Photograph dated February 26, 1960.
Type
Image
Format
1 negative :safety ;10 x 14 cm.
Photographic safety negatives
Identifier
00102501
Kelly-Holiday Mid-Century Aerial Collection
KHAF 526-18
CARL0005154649
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/6501
Subject
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Motion picture industry--California--Culver City
Motion picture studios--California--Culver City
Industries--California--Culver City
Dwellings--California--Culver City
Streets--California--Culver City
Parking lots--California--Culver City
Culver City (Calif.)--Aerial views
Culver City (Calif.)
Aerial photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: