Skip to main content

Image / San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission Chapel

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission Chapel
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 194-
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Partial view of the original chapel of San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission with an old workshop in the foreground. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797, on the settlement located on the former Encino Rancho, in Mission Hills. An adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor Pi´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernand's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. It was dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. And in 1999, it was also added to the National Register of Historic Places - Building #71001076. It continues to serve as a parish church.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00102063
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-011-721 8x10
CARL0005142644
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/36458
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Catholic churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Workshops--California--Los Angeles
Chapels--California--Los Angeles
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: