This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Photograph was edited for publication purposes The Sepulveda Military Academy was built and founded in 1953 by Ret. Army Lt. Col. and Mrs. William B. Sanders. In 1971, Sanders sold the land to Herbert Lowell who, in 1971, opened Eleby Hall, an 'open classroom' school. The property has changed hands over the years, housing Oak Hill School and, most recently, North Hills Prep. In 2017, a fire destroyed the structures on the property which had become abandoned and neglected. Currently the lot stands vacant. Photograph caption dated June 28, 1957 reads, "Ten junior high graduates from Sepulveda Military Academy, 9433 Sepulveda Blvd., Sepulveda, line up at attention after 1957 commencement. Cadets, from left, are Staff Sgt. Darryle Ingram, Sgt. Milton Morley, First Sgt. Chris Hundt, Lt. William Long, Capt. Thomas Haylett, Maj. Curtis Crivelli, class president; Lt. Dennis Strawn, Lt. Stanley Brittsan, First Sgt. David Marks and Sgt. Michael King. They've averaged three years in academy."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Sepulveda Military Academy Sepulveda Military Academy--Students Commencement ceremonies--California--Los Angeles Cadets--California--Los Angeles Middle school students--California--Los Angeles Teenage boys--California--Los Angeles Military academies--California--Los Angeles Middle schools--California--Los Angeles Schools--California--Sepulveda (Los Angeles) Sepulveda (Los Angeles, Calif.) North Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs