Skip to main content

Image / San Fernando Mission Convento, east facade

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
San Fernando Mission Convento, east facade
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 1937
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, it is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. It is most noted for its 21 Roman arches, and is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the rest of Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.
View of the east facade of the San Fernando Mission Convento, arcade and a small adobe structure that may have been the majordomo's home.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00096652
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-005-194.3 8x10
CARL0005097877
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/38543
Subject
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.)
Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles
Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Arcades (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Catholic churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
Adobe houses--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles)
California Historical Landmarks
Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: