This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This March 13, 1950, photograph shows the water pumping station for Sacramento’s water filtration plant. Located just north of the city, and constructed in 1924, the pump was designed to slowly take water in by gravity, transferring it then to the filtration plant where the water was purified by sand filtration. Sacramento’s per capita water intake in the 1920s was 350 gallons, one of the highest in the country while – at its full capacity – the pump and plant could process up to 48,000,000 gallons of water per day. Long obsolete, the pump was in service until 2004, when the city built a new, 31 million dollar pumping facility.