Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Public viewing of the laying of the corner stone of the Church of the Angels. The church is faced in sandstone mined from San Fernando Valley quarries and the interior walls are of red pressed brick. Modeled after Holmby St. Mary's Church near Dorky, Surrey, England, the church was designed by English architect Arthur Edmund Street and built by local architect Ernest Coxhead. The cornerstone was laid on April 20, 1889. Until 1899 this area of Pasadena was known as Garvanza.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00019787 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Pasadena-Churches-Church of the Angels.; N-004-473 8x10 CARL0000024894 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/89455
Church of the Angels (Pasadena, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Pasadena Architecture--California--Pasadena--English influences Cornerstone laying--California--Pasadena Coxhead, Ernest A.,1863-1933 Pasadena (Calif.) Garvanza (Calif.)