Title supplied by cataloger. Camp Cajon, established from 1919-1921 by William H. Bristol as a (then) modern-day welcome station for motorists entering or leaving the San Bernardino Valley along Route 66, is located 15 miles from the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County. Bristol, a Highland citrus grower, built this welcome station by erecting a few picnic tables and a permanent building at an old camping area known as Willow Grove. The area soon grew into a full-fledged camp that was large enough to accommodate large groups of visitors; more tables were built, and broilers, cook stoves, and barbecue pits were set up throughout the grounds. Sadly, a devastating flood in 1938 decimated the campground, leaving the beautiful handmade stone tables buried or damaged beyond repair and the camp was abandoned. Eventually, Route 66 was realigned, and Camp Cajon has been all but forgotten. Entrance to Camp Cajon, with a view of an automobile parked next to a brick structure on the right, another smaller structure behind that, and the San Bernardino mountains in the background.
1 photographic print :b&w ;18 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Camp Cajon (San Bernardino County, Calif.) Camp sites, facilities, etc.--California--San Bernardino County Mountain passes--California--San Bernardino County Camps--California--San Bernardino County Bristol, William H San Bernardino County (Calif.)